<VV> Shiftless PG ... again

Joe White jwcorvair at aol.com
Sat May 14 09:42:21 EDT 2011

Hi,

I know that we have discussed and cussed this topic many, many times, but I am unable to findf the topics. So, I am asking this question for the umpteenth time again.

The situation is that my PG has stopped shifting from low to high. Before it stopped shifting, the PG seemed reluctant to upshift; that is, I would drive it for some distance (farther than normal) without the PG shifting,  then, all of a sudden it would shift up and for the remainder of the drive would shift fine. Lately, it will not upshift at all. I have replaced the vacuum module and the govenor (thinking that with the way the problem developed it might be one or both), but replacing them did not correct the condition.

At this time, it seems that my next action is to tear into thef PG to see if I can find the problem. But I think that this might not be a problem with the mechanics of the PG, but stickfing valves and a generaly dirty PG.

So any thoughts? Any recommendations for a "cleaner" or PG conditioner that I might try before I attempt a mechanical repair?

Regards,

Joe White (CORSA, RMC)
Boulder, CO