<VV> Turbo engine help needed

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Sun May 15 09:06:24 EDT 2011

Howdy folks,

     Yesterday my (first) turbo Corvair arrived from California on a car
carrier.  I originally bought the car as "not currently running" though the
carb and turbo were rebuilt by Clark's four years ago before the car was
parked while the owner was off the continent.

The seller got the car running and drove it two miles to the car carrier.
When it got here we hooked up a jumper pack and the car started... idled for
a minute then quit.  I figured it had emptied the float bowl since it was
very low on gas and parked very steeply downhill on the trailer.  We towed
the car home and I have since added about 6 gallons of gasoline but the car
still wouldn't start back up.

It does fire on starting fluid.  I checked the spark on all plug wires and
it is good and strong, also checked the timing and it seems ok.  Next thing
I did was check the fuel pump.  I hooked up to a clear line and a gas can,
it is pumping fuel fine.  I took the filter bolt off the top of the carb and
when I cranked it spit gas out the hole forcefully so I seem to have fuel
pressure at the carb.... but it still won't start.

Keep in mind the car hadn't been touched since driving two miles a little
over a week ago... so it "should" be something simple.

It'd just be really nice to be able to move the car around the driveway and
in and out of the shop under it's own power.

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez
Lake Ariel, PA