<VV> Cast Iron Rings Break-In

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Wed May 18 22:52:20 EDT 2011

Byron, this should not be a problem. I used to do lots of air cooled
aircraft engines, and did it this way. I started them and ran them
above idle, at about 1200 to 1400 rpm, for about 5 minutes, then shut
down and let the engine cool off. I did this again, and at the end of
the second run, I set idle, mixture and in your case, timing. Then
shut it off and let it cool. On the third run, I gave it to a pilot
and he used enough power to get the aircraft off the ground and
cruised around at 2400 to 2600 rpm for an hour. During that hour, the
CHT would start high and after 15 to 20 minutes, would settle down to
normal. The last fifteen minutes or so the pilot would use full power.
Never had a engine problem or one that used oil.

The idea is to get the initial break in to happen with the engine
cool. Then let it finish on that third run (drive it, but don't hot
rod it). I know people say it takes sometimes thousands of miles to
seat in, but that is mainly the Chrome and Moly rings which are harder
materials. Once this initial seat takes, the engine should be good to
go. Also, use a good grade of 30 wt (or 10 w30, or 5 w30) DINO oil
with lots of ZDDP in it.

I never had one smoke, they have always cleaned out during the first
run and then that stopped.

Years ago I worked for a Ford garage and did engine overhauls. The
standard was to start the engine and let it warm up to temp, these
were water cooled, so 180-195 degrees termp, and after setting timing
and the carb, and making sure there were no water leaks, I took it for
a drive for about a half hour. Towards the end, I would do three or
four power runs from a stop to 45 mph using mayby half throttle, to
seat the rings. Never had a problem there, either.

So, as long as you are not too harsh on it, you should be good. Don't
baby it either, it takes power to push the rings against the cylinder
walls and get them to seat (rub off the high spots and rings match to
the cylinder walls). If you have smokling pbs after the first couple
of minutes, the oil is coming from somewhere and if it is the rings,
use some power to get the rings up against the cylinder wall so they
can seat.

I assume you staggered the ring gaps and had proper end gaps?

Mark Durham