<VV> New Cast Aluminum Corvair Cylinder Heads

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu May 19 23:02:25 EDT 2011

At 02:23 AM 5/18/2011, Sethracer at aol.com wrote:

>In my experience, all 140, 150 and 180 heads are drilled for  3/8-24
>thread. The snap switch for the right side head on the 140-150-180
>heads is a
>3/8-24 thread. All other Corvairs 61-on are drilled for the 3/8-16
>threads of
>the standard snap switch. It is functionally identical to the 140-150-180
>switch, except for the threads. All thermisters have a 3/8-24 thread. - The
>thread adapter is needed when adapting the thermister to a  non-140-150-180
>head.
>
>Seth Emerson

I found this out early on.

By the way:

I have never seen any Corvair head that would NOT swap from left to
right, since each and every one is the same (per year/installation)
except for where certain holes are drilled.   That includes the drain
tube boss on turbo heads.   I've also seen a number of NON-turbo
heads with that same turbo drain tube boss cast onto the head.  Got a
couple.    I forget how many total Corvair heads I have but it's a lot...

One more thing:

If you get extraordinarily tacky, you can run a 3/8x24 tap down a
3/8x16 hole and screw a thermistor into it and it will work.   Just
don't torque it down to 30 lbs/ft or you WILL strip the hole.   Let
common sense dictate how tight you screw it in.  You will also need
to drill the hole a little deeper so the thermistor will actually go
IN the hole.  It's longer than the snap switch.   Do NOT drill deeper
than necessary to make room for the business end of the thermistor or
you will find your bit extending into the combustion
chamber.   Simple math and a ruler... and remember that only the
first half-inch of thermistor has threads.    And don't carve off the
threads in the upper half of the hole as you drill the bottom out for access.

I know, jackleg stuff... but it works.   Others may well wish to do
it differently.   (as in "right")

tony..