<VV> Front valence panel

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri May 20 08:39:13 EDT 2011

David,

If the steel panel isn't completely gone you might want to try what my
bodyman Earnie (that's how he spelled his name) and I did twenty years ago to a
 1965 convertible.  We cut the sloped part of the trunk directly behind the
 outer panel to gain access to the back of it.  (Earnie created two metal
"tabs"--one on each side of the trunk latch support by cutting three sides
of a  rectangle and bending them back). Then I cleaned out the rust on the
back  of the outer panel mechanically using wire brushes and then used an acid
 rust eater (at the time I got it from Clark's and I think it was
phosphoric  acid--the chemists out there can comment) to stop the rust.  There are
many  other rust eating products out there now.  After Earnie had patched in
new metal where needed and done the body work (he was a master with
lead--old  school--I'm sure Bondo would be used by most now), I painted the  back of
the panel with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, then Rustoleum Clean  Metal
Primer, and a final coat of Rustoleum Black.  I would probably use  something
like POR 15 today.  Then the two trunk side "tabs" were bent back  into
place, spot welded, the seams smoothed and the whole trunk was  painted.  That
repair has lasted twenty years.

My 1965 Corsa needs the same work and I plan to have it done the same way
(just need the time and money).

Best of luck with it.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair