<VV> Smoking and Idling

Byron Comp byron.comp at yahoo.com
Fri May 20 17:49:14 EDT 2011

>Message: 2
>Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 16:10:54 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Byron Comp <byron.comp at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: <VV> Smoking AFTER Overhaul
>To: "virtualvairs at corvair.org" <virtualvairs at corvair.org>

BIG SNIP

>>> Next step is 2 hours and the same routine.
>>
>Tomorrow I will change the oil and filter first thing, but I'm not sure about running it for 2 hours. That would be easy enough to do if I could drive it, but would be extremely tiring and >boring trying to vary the rpms enough and not just let it drift back town to idle.
>
>Which raises my next question/problem: The RH carb won't maintain a low idle unless you physically hold down the linkage. It wants to constantly run up above 600-700 rpm. I >don't think it's the idle mixture; it just wants to open the throttle up. I replaced the bent wire linkage(s) before overhaul with the screw type linkage bars and have them set like I >think they should be, but to no avail. The LH one works fine. I put a heavy spring on the connecting bar where the accelerator rod hooks on, but that just twists that connecting bar >across the 2 feet or so of travel and the RH one keeps opening up. Any suggestions?

The oil was darker than I expected, but there were no contaminants noted or metal shavings/filings. After removing the gas tank guage unit with associated copper pipe for the beginning of the gas line back to the engine, we discovered that both the guage unit and the pipe were both leaking. I ordered all new stuff from Clark's but then my helper went ahead and brazed up the pipe attachment and scrounged around for appropriate washers/bushings for the sender unit and we succeeded in putting it all back together with no leaks.

Next was to work on the idle problem. Mark Durham had suggested in a post that it sounded like the carbs were not set up correct independently before connecting them and he was "right on." We got all that smoothed out, put the timing light on it and made a few minor adjustments to the distributor. VOILA, we're good to go! Now if I just had tags and insurance.

The smoking has stopped, except at real high rpm bursts (4k-4.5k), and that's only for a second or two and is black, not blue. After yesterday's running, the other smoke, which as Mark had also mentioned, was apparently burn-off from all the new parts with oil residue, etc.

Thanks to everybody for your help so far. There'll be more questions as I go along.

Byron Comp
'64 Monza Vert
Gainesville, FL