<VV> Smoking and Idling

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 21 01:29:11 EDT 2011

What size jets are in the carbs?

A temporary burst to 4500 producing black smoke says to me, fairly normal -
but MIGHT want to think about backing off on the jet size by one or two.
I'm not a pro on this - others might advise differently.  The problem stems
from the "gasohol" we have today.  It is not all "real" gas (like in the
'60s) and to compensate we have been upping the jet size.  There are
compromises involved and it sometimes takes a bit of experimentation for
individual engines to find the "best" one for your driving style.

Oil inspection sounds OK to me.

Good that you sorted out the carb balance issue.  I should probably have
mentioned that earlier.

Later, JR

From: "Byron Comp" <byron.comp at yahoo.com>

The oil was darker than I expected, but there were no contaminants noted or
metal shavings/filings. After removing the gas tank guage unit with
associated copper pipe for the beginning of the gas line back to the engine,
we discovered that both the guage unit and the pipe were both leaking. I
ordered all new stuff from Clark's but then my helper went ahead and brazed
up the pipe attachment and scrounged around for appropriate washers/bushings
for the sender unit and we succeeded in putting it all back together with no
leaks.

Next was to work on the idle problem. Mark Durham had suggested in a post
that it sounded like the carbs were not set up correct independently before
connecting them and he was "right on." We got all that smoothed out, put the
timing light on it and made a few minor adjustments to the distributor.
VOILA, we're good to go! Now if I just had tags and insurance.

The smoking has stopped, except at real high rpm bursts (4k-4.5k), and
that's only for a second or two and is black, not blue. After yesterday's
running, the other smoke, which as Mark had also mentioned, was apparently
burn-off from all the new parts with oil residue, etc.

Thanks to everybody for your help so far. There'll be more questions as I go
along.

Byron Comp
'64 Monza Vert
Gainesville, FL