<VV> Piston rings

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat May 21 13:20:01 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----

From: Harry Smith <harrysmith1957 at gmail.com>
Subject: <VV> Piston Rings

I have decided to go ahead and get the rings for my Rampside even though I
am not working and the truck is supposed to be on hold. I am tired of
waiting. My dilemma is this; just looking at prices I see STD cast rings for
$22.00, chrome for $100 more and Moly for another $15.00 over that. I
originally was going to go with Moly figuring get the best, do it once and
forget it. Now my finances are not great so I am rethinking it. Is it worth
the money?
Harry Smith
1963 Rampside
Coral Springs, FL

Hi Harry,

In principle cast iron rings can give good service.

I'm more concerned about the price difference you quote. It makes me worried about country of origin, manufacturing and material quality, and the design of the oil ring.

I think cylinder prep and especially insufficient initial cleaning have been the demise of many re-ring jobs.
The piston cleaning method, and the condition of the used piston grooves can also dictate how good the results will be.

Dan T