<VV> tire size choices

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sun May 22 20:02:07 EDT 2011

On May 21, 2011, at 9:51 PM, Bruce Schug wrote:

> Bryan's recommended sizes, I believe, are based on revs/mile, trying
> to match the speedometer/odometer. This, of course, should give you an
> accurate speedometer/odometer.

That is not correct.  From the page:

Revolutions per mile. Stock is 853 (to 65) and 833 (66-69 and wagons) revs/mile, according to Chevy specs. Oddly enough, the calibration for the speedometer doesn't quite match - the '66 up speedos are set for 825 revs/mile.

I chose those sizes to match the Chevrolet specs for the tires, which I obtained from Bob Helt.  Because of the differences between radials and bias ply tires, the static sidewall height will not be quite the same, but the effective radius and gearing will match what Chevrolet engineers intended.

--Bryan