<VV> Replacement of fuel pump eccentric

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Thu May 26 19:41:54 EDT 2011

It is possible to replace the eccentric without removing the engine. But you will have to remove the rear grill, remove the shields holding the rubber to the body,lower the back of the engine, remove the skid plate,remove the crank pulley, and the oil filter adaptor assembly/rear engine cover (distributor, oil pump housing).Then you have access to the eccentric.
As far as "saving a lot of effort", yes indeed an electric pump would be a lot easier IF indeed the eccentric is the problem. Larry Claypool sells a center section of the pump so that you can keep a stock appearance as well as running the correct fuel lines.
And why not put the pump under the car near the fuel tank? I have that on my '62 Monza Wagon.
Timothy Shortle in (perfect)Durango Colorado 81301