<VV> Back on the road...

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Sun May 29 12:30:07 EDT 2011

Hey guys & gals,
This note has two purposes... and there IS Corvair content.
Yesterday I finally got the "spare axle" installed on the '64 700... it had
 snapped (yes, SNAPPED) back in early March for reasons unknown. I had
installed  a new harmonic balancer on the Sunday we had returned from our cruise
(the  balancer had separated on my way to work one morning, so I had it
towed home on  a flatbed, and once I was home I drove it to it's "resting
place". Once the  balancer was installed, I started it up, put it in gear, and
NUTHIN'... looked  under and saw the axle floppin'...)...and the poor thing
had sat ever since.  We've had some serious rain in my neck of the woods for
the last 2 months, and  the few days it WAS nice, I was sick (fighting
pneumonia since the first of  May), so yesterday was my first chance to get to it.
I remove the axle bearing (axle had snapped about a 1/4" into the bearing)
and proceeded to beat the flange off the end (I used to have one of those
flange  removers, but I loaned it out, and never saw it again)... after
longer than it  should have been, I finally got it outta there, and installed the
used axle I'd  gotten from a friend.
I'll be taking her out on a test run in a few, since the battery had
drained whilst sitting for so long...
The bearing that was on the snapped shaft was one of Clark's "rebuildable"
bearings with the 2 piece aluminum housing... I'll be calling them for a
replacement seal, puller ring, spacer and keeper-ring on Tuesday...

My test drive will take me out to Millwood, KY, about 25 miles, to the
graveyard where my paternal Grandmother, her parents, and her grandparents
rest... a simple country graveyard sitting on a hill, surrounded by farmland,
and a fence row filled with wild blackberries about two weeks from  being
ripe. Great-grandpa James Harned was a Spanish-American War veteran, and I
have a small flag to plant at his stone... he didn't die in the war, but 17
years later he was helping a neighbor get their family and belongings out of
a  burning house & barn, and he died a week later from complications due to
the  smoke inhalation (most likely pneumonia)... leaving behind a wife and 4
kids (my  Grandma was 7 years old)...
So I take some time out to honor him, by marking  his resting place with a
flag he was willing to give his life for... just a long  tradition that my
Dad had started years ago for a grandpa he never knew.

Take a few minutes this weekend and consider the sacrifices that many have
made for us. I, for one, am thankful for everyone who ever donned a uniform
of  the armed services, and our young men & women who are out there right
now,  in harms way... I pray they make it home safe.

Now, where are my keys....

Lonzo in Kentucky where there's been a  three day stretch of "no  rain"!