<VV> Fuel pump eccentric

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Mon May 30 07:33:07 EDT 2011

Back in the day ['67 / '68] I drove e a friend's 62 Monza to and from work [60 miles] daily for three weeks.  He had been having intermittent fuel starvation problems so we switched cars.  It finally failed westbound on I-94 on the way home.  A quick check told me there3 was low fuel in the carbs so I loosened the lock nut, backed out the retainer screw and pumped up gas to the carbs.  While retightening the pump I got to thinking pin hole in the fuel line.  I got a couple of more miles down the road and it stopped again.  This time I pushed the pump down past its normal position before tightening the screw.  I made it the final 10 miles to my garage, rethinking the fuel line leak all the way.

When I got the pump off I was a little surprised to find there was no play in the pump link and that it made a good 'oink.'  For no particular reason I pulled out the push rod and found the cam end to be ground down.  The temporary fix was to leave the push rod out and install an electric pump ... and change the oil as if that would have made a difference :-[.  So far as I know that fix lasted the rest of the life of the car.

I have only seen a couple of worn out eccentrics over the years but I have seen two worn out pushrods in swap meet spaces.  I pointed out the condition to one of the sellers but he did not believe there was anything wrong ... oh, well.

The final answer is yes, it demonstrates the fuel pump is working but no, is does not testify to the condition of the push rod nor the eccentric other than that they are in place.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.