<VV> unusual? failure? something to watch for long CORVAIR related story

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Tue May 31 22:24:14 EDT 2011

one of my own motors  (@110hp )has been a touch noisy since i built  it.
hard to place it , but it sounded like an old flathead v8 with the noisy cam
gear. it had good oil pressure , even at low speeds. no metal showed up on
the  magnetized dipstick or the oil plug. finally my transmission went nuts
at @4500  miles. i took it out and put one from a van in. that van moved on
its own power  just fine , and the tranny was "xtra clean" so i took the
chance. Well it bit  me! slippery and all.
So my final answer was to steal the new powertrain  (140 with 2 carbs  for
now ) out of my lakewood project sleeping in the corner. that is running
fine now. i am getting too old and sore to do this stuff!
back to the MOTOR ahead of the 2 trannys . i decided to change the cam ,
even if i could not see any damage , feel any play , or...(i wanted to go to
a  9891 cam from the 9889 anyhow).
well this is a side job in between a lot of other situations here , so i
clean parts and pile them to wait for assembly. my findings are: the oil
filter  has a metal gasket retainer plate with holes in it matching the holes in
the top  of the filter pressed on. this plate spun a little , blocking the
holes .so i  THINK the blockage caused the oil pump to work  very hard
pumping thru the  bypass valves , showing real shiny wear on the distributor
gear? due to the fact  that i paint my oil filters a semi black , and i use 2
sources of filters , i am  not sure of the brand. not sure how that plate
could spin , unless (i doubt it  but)  i spun it when installing it.
this is one of several motors i built this year , but the only one i heard
this type of noise in.
now i may look at filters on the rest of my stuff.... the trick here is
that the pressure indicated on my test adaptabolt oil gauge i use on all of my
 motors for the first few hours of running was perfectly normal.
i put a picture of the filter in the last issue of our newsletter.
my final words are: try not to spin the filter , just the bolt, when you
install it.
regards, Tim  Colson                      i hope the picture works