<VV> Problems with a 140 tear down

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Fri Sep 2 01:23:07 EDT 2011

Hello again Bob,

Yes, like many bad experiences, they make great stories after  the memory
of the anguish fades a bit.  Hopefully, the details of what I  did will help
you or others who are unfortunate enough to own a seized  engine.

Also, it is good to hear that your seller has taken ownership  of the
problem.  Most people are ethical.

Please forgive me if I am telling you something you already  know but if
your 140 HP crankshaft can be salvaged without a major grind  required, you
should try to keep it.  The 140, 150 and 180 HP engines had  nitrided cranks.
This is a process that makes the surface much harder and  wear resistant
than the other "standard" cranks.  Of course, the crank may  have been
replaced with a standard unit at some time in the past.  You  cannot tell just by
looking at the surface if you have a nitrided crank.   However, the nitrided
cranks have a "&" sign stamped into the end of the  crank.  Please note that
if the bearing surfaces are rusted, worn or  gouged to the point that the
crank must be ground, you will lose the nitride  treatment.  It barely
penetrates the surface of the metal so that it will  not survive more than a
polish or very light grind.  Perhaps someone else  here can tell us what the
depth of grind is before the nitride is  gone.

The 140 cam has value too but not if it needs a grind to  resurface the
lobes.  Depending on their condition, the distributor, carbs  (the secondary
carbs are unique to the 140 HP engine,) alternator, oil cooler,  etc. have
value.

Good luck,

Doc

1960  Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966  Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968 Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 9/1/2011 9:51:57 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,