<VV> flickering lights

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Sep 3 22:57:28 EDT 2011

Instead of guessing, put a voltmeter across the battery at idle and see
what the voltage fluctuation is. A Spyder is supposed to idle at 900
rpm, so the generator is just starting to work. Flickering, if just
around 12.6 volts, can be normal. Generators do NOT charge at idle, a
typical idle of 600 rpm, they discharge the battery. So, the points in
the regulator switch back and forth trying to do its job. Thus the
flickering.

Disconnecting a wire to the generator eliminates the flickering, because
now the generator is not working, therefore the regulator cannot
"chatter" and the lights cannot flicker.

Do check the brushes, but I don't think the problem is there. Worn
brushes typically bounce at high speed, not idle.

Have you noticed the flickering before? Is the idle different?

You may be chasing a non-problem. The voltmeter will give answers. If
the voltage goes above 13 when you raise the speed above idle, all is well.

Frank DuVal