<VV> late model "nose job" help?

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 13:32:45 EDT 2011

Hello all,

     The 65' Corsa 140 coupe I'm working on is nearing completion, the last
really big problem I'm facing is the cars "nose".  The front valance (below
front bumper) is all banged up with a hole in it from where the previous
owner set the car up (as a racecar) to be flat towed.  In addition the front
"grill area" panel above the bumper is a banged up mess that I've been going
nuts trying to make half decent.

     I just found a 68' parts car fairly near me that I'm considering buying
and I'm hoping somebody can give me a run-down on cutting this whole panel
out of the two cars (at/near the factory seams I hope) and putting the good
one onto the good car.  I've never attempted this ambitious a body repair so
I need a good bit of detail and instruction.  The part that I'm most worried
about is the area that is "double walled" down below the bumper.

     I have a 220 volt harbor freight wire feed welder.  It isn't the
greatest and I'm not very good with it but I'm also not going for concours,
so it should do.  I also have a sawzall and an air cutoff disc tool.

     Any advice and help would be very much appreciated!

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez
Lake Ariel, PA
31 years old and FIVE Corvairs!