<VV> early dash pad and heater duct help needed

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 16:25:47 EDT 2011

Howdy all,

Yesterday I started the "quickie" restoration of my new 62' coupe.  The car
has a faded and cracked dash pad, and I don't want to go to the expense of
buying a replacement so I'm hoping to just take it down to the metal and
paint it up as a non-padded dash.  Any advice on how to go about removing
the dash pad (windshield will be out) and cleaning the glue or whatever?  I
fear it might be a terrible chore.

Next question is about early ventilation systems.  I'm certain my 63' has
some clogging (due to mice) in the heater ducts... what is the best way to
try to clear these ducts without having to take half the car apart and
hopefully without replacing the hoses?  The car in question is Missy's only
way to get back and forth to work so I can't go into a lengthy project.  The
hoses in the rockers seem like there is no good way to get at them but I
figure there must be some kind of trick to it.

Lastly, alluding back to the first paragraph, any advice on removal and
reinstallation of early model Corvair windshield and back window?  I'm
familiar with how to do this on a late model, but worried about the
differences.. particularly in the windshield seal with its bright trim on
the rubber.

Thanks as always for the help,

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez