<VV> EM Windshield removal, etc.

Byron Comp byron.comp at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 11:47:06 EDT 2011

Hi Ray,

1) I used a solvent (paint thinner) and a scraper to remove the worst of the glue and then a vibrating sander (palm sander) to get it really smooth. The finished paint job looks great.

2) Although I didn't intend to, I had to replace all hoses in my '64 - the old ones merely crumbled in my hands. If they're still good on yours, a shop-vac will do a reasonably good job, but you'll have to attack the various sections individually, i.e., defrost hoses, rockers, rear seat, etc. In my vert, there was no hose in the rockers, a hose led into it at the rear and another came out at the front. The middle was just the hollow created by the sheet metal.

3) Cut the rubber trim on the inside across the top and down both sides of the windshield; then position yourself so you can push with your feet on the middle, about 4 or 5 inches below the top of the glass, and with consistently stronger force, push it outward. It would be handy to have extra hands to aid in controlling it as it comes out, but I did mine by myself. The chrome strips are embedded in slots in the rubber gasket and can easily be removed once the rubber has been peeled off the glass. The chrome should also go back into the new gasket before installation, although I had a professional glass shop do that part of the job on mine, so I can't say how easy or difficult it was. I know he said it went real smooth and it certainly looks good.

As for the rear glass, there are metal tabs that the gasket is attached to making the removal more difficult, but I applied pressure the same way and finally forced it out. But not nearly as easily as the front. Since my resto-mod project is a vert., I set the rear glass aside from my donor car and will some day clean it up and offer it for sale. So I know nothing about re-installing it.

Hope this helps.

Byron Comp
'64 Monza Vert.
Gainesville, FL