<VV> Heated windshields (No Corvair)

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Thu Sep 15 13:49:31 EDT 2011

<I have often wondered why they (such windshields) aren't an option..  >

They are, Chuck.  Never heard of Ford's "InstaClear" (Ford Europe  calls it
Quickclear) windshields?  There is a very thin layer of some metal  over
the glass that conducts electricity.  It's such a thin layer that one  can see
through it but the windshield does appear to be super tinted.  It's  a very
expensive and, therefore, rarely chosen option on some high end cars  (e.g.
Lincolns).  It works best for removing ice.  I would imagine  that even the
very rich rarely choose the option because they, more than anyone,  have
garages and therefore rarely have need for the option.  If you're  familiar
with the EZ-Pass toll collection system then you know that the  "transponder"
that transmits the toll information is usually mounted on the  inside of the
windshield but it doesn't work with the InstaClear  windshields.  If you've
ever seen a black horizontal bar mounted on the top  of a front license
plate, that's the EZ-Pass transponder for a vehicle equipped  with the
InstaClear windshield.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quickclear_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quickclear)

Another version trademarked by L-O-F is called ElectriClear.  I  believe GM
uses ElectriClear.

Also, some Chrysler mini-vans have wire heating elements in the lower
portion of the windshield like the ones found all over the back light of most
cars and used as a rear defogger.  This is because the "cab-forward"
windshield was found to place the windshield wipers too far forward of the  outlet
vents for the defroster and winidshield wipers were staying frozen to the
windshield so, on the second model year of that redesign Chrysler added the
rear  defroster style wires under where the wipers rested.

~Bill Stanley