<VV> VIN Decode

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Sun Sep 18 18:37:36 EDT 2011

Hi,

I asked Dave Newell what he knew about this--specifically about model year
1966, and the fact that my June '66 Corsa convertible (sold new in
Washington state) was built at Willow Run. As usual, very informative:

"The Van Nuys (LA) plant's normal territory included Washington, and they
built non-smog-equipped 'vairs there in 1966. But since 'vair production at
Van Nuys stopped in April 1966, Willow Run had to fill Western orders
received after that. I have dealer paperwork files for several '66 Willow
Run cars delivered in California after April, that of course had RPO K19
(smog equipment).

It's likely that Willow Run began picking up some of the Van Nuys territory
even before April due to excess capacity there and decreasing capacity at
Van Nuys. Territories weren't always written in stone either, depending on
railroad freight rates and other factors. As Van Nuys 'vair production wound
down, WR could have begun picking up the farthest points in their
territory."

--Kent