<VV> early suspension changes question

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 18 22:38:45 EDT 2011

The rebound straps were only offered as an option, they were never offered as standard equipment, except on early production 1962 Spyders. I know they were first offered as an option on the 1962 models, and were available on the 1963 models. I do not think they were offered in 1964, but I haven't found positive documentation for that.

According to The Corvair Decade, p.45, in 1962 "Heavy-duty front and rear suspension became available". It also states that "Karl Ludvigsen, writing in Automobile Quarterly, said that RPO 696, the heavy-duty front and rear suspension, 'offered even stiffer front and rear springs, shorter rear axle limit straps, and a front anti-roll bar'.