<VV> what year did stop lites become mandatory (No Corvair)

Charles Fregeau n5hsr at sprynet.com
Mon Sep 19 23:10:41 EDT 2011

I also remember 1986 is the year the third stop light became mandatory on
passenger cars.

I don't actually know if there was a conscious Federal effort to make stop
lights mandatory.  Like safety glass, different states made it mandatory
after a certain point.  But by then most manufacturers were already doing
it.  I can't remember if it's Illinois or Missouri that has the law that all
cars made after January 1, 1936 had to have a safety glass windshield.  But
the Ford Model A had a safety glass windshield as early as the 1928 model
year and that was one of the least expensive cars and therefore would be one
of the last to probably have a safety glass windshield.

Charles Fregeau
G I Miss my 700 coupe