<VV> Stop lights mandatory (No Corvair)

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Sep 20 00:22:18 EDT 2011

In a message dated 9/19/2011 8:05:13 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
shortle556 at earthlink.net writes:

Anyone  know (or remember) when brake lites became mandatory equipment on
passenger  cars? I know back in the early days they were considered optional
equipment  (?). Obviously before Corvairs and the NHTSA. Timothy Shortle in
Durango  Colorado 81301

Tim - Brake Lights? This will be a lot harder to answer,because there  were
only sparse federal requirements prior to the 60s (Not 60s Corvairs, the
1960's decade) There were a lot of State requirements, though. I would bet on
 the 47 or 48 model year for a pair of them, way before for a single. Many
trucks  didn't even have tail lights on both sides until the mid 50s. Turn
signal  were the last addition I remember. Optional for some cars into the
50's. I  remember the add-on units for cars/trucks which came without them.
This is way  before the aforementioned back-up and high-mount brake lights.

-Seth Emerson

(Yeah, Bill, I'm old too!)