<VV> You Are Old and Phones (no Corvair)

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 20 00:38:15 EDT 2011

I could tell you about phones that you had to crank at grandma's house, but
I'll tell you about 1952 (I was 10) when we moved to Tinley Park, IL.  The
phone number was 205.  The phone had no dial - so I guess the term "dial a
number" had not been invented?  You picked up the BELL (on a circle in the
middle) phone and the operator said "number please"?  If you didn't know the
number, you just told her who you wanted because she knew every number in
town.

About a year later, the numbers went over 1,000 and we got new phones with
dials.  We also got an additional digit at the front of our number and we
became 2205.

Like Model T Fords - all phones were black in those days.  No more pleasant
operator when dial phones came into the picture - just a dial tone when you
picked up.  Well, if you were on a party line you might have gotten into
someone else's conversation and you would hang up and wait a few minutes
(unless the conversation was juicy).

At some point - 2 or 3 years later - the Chicagoland area went to the
"Exchange" system.  The exchange was like a word, but you only used the
first 2 letters when dialing.  By then, letters had been associated with
numbers - like your cell phone - 2=abc.  Our Exchange was Kellogg which
translated to KE - 2205 - OR 532205.

About the time all of that was going on, you could now get phones in colors
(some lighted) and also have more than one in your house.  Really long
"coil" cords became the rage.  Mom could cook WHILE talking on the phone -
even the one in the living room would stretch to the kitchen!  It was a
trick to untangle THAT cord.

I'm guessing all this happened in 7 or 8 years.  So now we are up to the
birth of the Corvair and you all know the "rest of the story".

Later, JR