<VV> Axle Jacking & Limiting droop

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Sep 20 10:22:23 EDT 2011

No flame coming your way from me.  You are correct, the outer wheel does push up into the wheel well ... and the high mechanical roll center of the rear axle does roll the tire onto its sidewall.  Remember that the rolling over down force is what is causing the spring to be compressed.  So, the coming back down does not occur until the traction is at its limit or beyond and the down force is decreasing.  It is the loosing of some degree of traction that reduces the downloading thus allows the spring to regain some of its length.  Rolling the tire off the bead or the wheel digging into the road surface may well be sufficient to upset / trip the vehicle into a roll over ... but more than likely it will trigger a spin out.  Either way, control is lost.

Now I ask you to consider the direction in which the 'rebound' straps work.  These straps limit the maximum axle droop.  If the vehicle were somehow airborne [not generally considered to be desireable] the rebound straps will be limiting the droop of the wheel to something less than the shock absorber limits droop when fully extended.  Under maximum cornering conditions the 'rebound' strap will most likely be LIFTING the inside wheel off the road surface!  The outside 'rebound' will not come into play until the wheel has come out of the wheelhouse and gone well past the axle neutral position and into maximum droop.  The vehicle will be well into a roll over situation and at this point control is far beyond the initial point of having been lost.

Are we now in agreement?

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.