<VV> Old Phones Etc.

bowtieguy at cox.net bowtieguy at cox.net
Wed Sep 21 14:03:05 EDT 2011

My Aunt Mary lived in Nashwauk,MN, on the Iron Range as it is called. There was a woodbox on the porch for the one wood burner, three gas burner Monarch range. her phone number was 297J, and there was no dial.

This time of year was soon to be storm window exchange for the screens. Fall cleaning was like spring cleaning. We mulched leaves before it was stylish. The air conditioners were put in the basement, with the mower, and the snowblower came out of storage. Rock salt was on hand in a large supply to melt the ice on the driveway.

The canning of pickles, apple sauce, plum jam, cherry jam had all been stored in the pump room in the basement. The fireplace ashes from the living room, went down a chute to the basement to be sent out with the trash. The outside hoses were shut off for the season.

Snow tires went on in November and came off In April. The shovels were waxed for non stick work in the coming winter. The cars were winterized with the radiator flush and lower 10 weight oil and Heet in the gas line. The cars were detailed before winter too.

My friend Fran Kinnunen went off to college in Michigan, and went to the local mechanic there to request her car be winterized. She experienced the laughter from the mechanic and learned a good lesson.

Everything old is new again and there is a lot of history we do not know.

Bob Vukas
bowtieguy at cox.net