<VV> Interesting article about US Car Safety (Yes Corvair)

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Thu Sep 22 20:05:10 EDT 2011

Bob,

In all the years (30+) we ran many Corvairs at Lime Rock Race Track I
believe there was only ONE that flipped over on its roof and fortunately it had
a complete roll cage since it was really a race car that suffered a tire
blowout  in a sharp turn.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Frank Burkhard

In a message dated 9/22/2011 3:40:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Vairtec at optonline.net writes:

On  9/22/2011 12:10 PM, Wrsssatty at aol.com wrote:

> <  The  October 1972 issue of Popular Mechanics laid out the  details:
>  Roof-mounted periscopes>
>
> Roof-mounted periscopes would be a  good idea today with the proliferation
> of SUVs and other monster  trucks on the road!

In the early 70s, when people found out  that I drove a Corvair, they'd
say, "Oh, aren't those the ones that flip  over?"

Today, they're all driving SUVs.  Y'know, the cars that  flip over far
more readily than any Corvair ever did.

--Bob  Marlow

the  property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org