<VV> Fwd: Engine disassembly

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Fri Sep 23 09:54:15 EDT 2011

The studs are designed to never be removed.  If they come out there will most likely be a small materials failure in the crankcase hence the oversized replacements.  There is a difference in the casting of the '69 crankcase and that difference may also be reflected in some, if not all, of the '68 model year.  Those 'oversized' studs come in I think +.002 or +.003 [I can't remember if there were more]  Some will disagree but others believe that in those thinner casting there is surely internal structure damage and the additional thread diameter on the replacements may not be enough.  [They seem to drive in too easily]  Perhaps it would be OK but, this is one of those jobs one would not wish to have to do over so why take the chance?

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.