<VV> Fwd: Senna movie-long (no Corvair)

Taruffi57 at aol.com Taruffi57 at aol.com
Sun Sep 25 12:03:23 EDT 2011

____________________________________
 From: Taruffi57 at aol.com
To: fastvair at yahoogroups.com
Sent: 9/25/2011  9:46:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Re: Senna movie-long (no  Corvair)

My Son, wife, a car/bike friend of my Son's and my 2 homeys went down  into
Orlando yesterday and finally got to see "Senna".     Actually, all but my
wife & I live in Orlando.,

Movie starts out with a few quick shots of his karting carreer and then
onto England for his entrance into F1 - where it was immediately apparent that
 he was going to be a racing phenomenon.  All of the movie is a
compilation of video shot during the period and a lot of it narrated by John
Bisignano - who used to be a very competent narrator on Speed.  (whatever  happened
to him?)  There are scenes of Senna with family - boating/sking  and with a
girlfriend or 2.

Many short vids of different races and what was going on behind the  scenes
- especially concerning FIA head honcho Balestre.  Balestre comes  off as
being extremely French biased.  Meaning, leaning toward Alain  Prost in
decision making.

I remember having the feeling back in the day, that Senna was difficult
and cutthroat on the track and somewhat of a prick.  As now, the  media
created that largely unfair assumption, but this movie clearly points up  the
attitude he copped from some unfair rulings against him.

When he died at the San Marino/Imola GP, Dr. Sid Watkins said a right
front suspension piece violated his helmet (or possibly face mask) and  that he
could not be saved.  I was watching the race that day on TV and  it was
known that the cars were so stiffly suspended with almost no suspension  travel,
that a rough track could cause the car to lose traction and skate off  the
track.  This was the FIA meddling with the electronic traction  control and
ride height electronics/hydraulics which made the cars very  difficult to
drive.  Of course, the 180 mph Tamborello left hand sweeper  where he went off
had very little runoff - due to the physical property limit  of the circuit.

The movie is in limited showing so you may want to do a search for
possible locations near you, but for any true racing fan, it's a documentary  movie
very worth seeing.  Oh, since all footage is vintage, it is  somewhat
grainy through most of it, but entirely legible.

Joe Dunlap
Florida
a true American (racing  fan)