<VV> promoting the Corvair hobby among younger people

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 25 20:16:19 EDT 2011

>------------------------------
>candidates for a shop class like the one I took in high school.
>what do you think?  Any ideas for content to present?

I wish you the best of luck, Ray. If there was to be any success at my high school, I would anticipate (and make up answers to) the following questions:
- Can you put 28" wheels on it?
- Where does the GPS/iPod/Phone charger go?
- Is the air conditioning manual or automatic?
- what? no power seats/steering/windows/cruise
- will it take my friend's 325i?
- where is the thingy that opens the doors and starts it?
- why doesn't it beep when you lock the doors?
- what do you mean by body work? what part doesn't work?
- why is there a wheel in the trunk?
- what does that knob on floor do?
- what is a hub cap?

Seriously, I was in the parking lot after school one day last week trying to show a fellow teacher why her a/c wasn't working very well (because the air inlet cowl was completely blocked by leaves) on her piece of crap import mini-SUV while her 3 teenage sons looked on in awe. None of them had ever done an oil change and didn't see anything unusual about the inch of corrosion on the battery terminals. One mentioned he had earned a scout merit badge on auto maintenance? I invited them to come over any time to watch and learn.

Grant