<VV> Two bad Corvairs sell one good Volvo

wrsssatty at aol.com wrsssatty at aol.com
Tue Sep 27 22:17:32 EDT 2011

Some of you may be familiar with Irv Gordon of Long Island, NY.  He bought a new 1966 Volvo 1800 which is now approaching the 3 million mile mark.  He and his car grace the cover of the November 2011 Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car.  In the article, it is reported that "[h]e had been a GM guy, until his bad experiences with two successive Corvairs had him searching for an alternative."

On a personal note, in the late '80s he and his car were featured in Volvo ads, at least locally in the NY metro area.  One year when I was at the New York Auto Show I was at the Volvo display where they had his car.  I noticed him from the commercials standing off to the side.  I went over and introduced myself and asked if Volvo was paying him to be there.  He said no, that they were not, that he just stopped by after work and stood quietly to the side to eavesdrop on peoples comments as they eyed his car.  I wish I knew the Corvair element to his story at the time.  I'd like to ask him about his Corvair experience.

~Bill Stanley