<VV> Alternator/Regulator Questions

Bob Gilbert bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca
Wed Sep 28 15:37:53 EDT 2011

Hi,

According to my 65 Manual the regulator setting is 13.8-14.8 at 85F.

What exactly does that mean?

I'm guessing that it means that it controls the alternator to start "putting
out" current when the battery voltage drops to 13.8 volts and stops when
battery voltage reaches at 14.8. Then presumably it will keep it somewhere
at an average of the two? Is that correct?

1) If so, isn't that going to cook the average 12 volt (nominal) battery?

2) I don't remember reading anything like those numbers on any voltmeter
equipped Corvair. By memory (such as it is!) I thought the readings were
more in the 13 volt range.

??

Thanks,

Bob