<VV> [fastvair] Adding Water to the Combustion Cycle

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 30 19:21:10 EDT 2011

Frank is right.
 The stuff I use to put into the big radial engine acft was called ADI (anti
detonation injection). We mixed it up by the hundreds of gallons. It was 49%
water 49% alcohol and 2% water soluble oil. With the big recips  using high
boost to take off on a hot day, the purpose was to keep detonation from
occurring which can result in a loss of power and possible engine damage.

 Reducing the possibility of detonation actually increases the horsepower under
boost. I believe the engine designers of the big recips understood this. However
you have to get to the situation of destructive detonation to have the ADI work
for you.

MIKE KOVACS