<VV> Overheating

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 19:01:53 EDT 2012

> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 17:19:10 -0400
> From: "Jay Botwick" <j.botwick at snet.net>
> Subject: <VV> Overheating
> To: <Virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
> I have a 65 Corsa Conv. 140hp. 4-Speed.
> When on the highway or maintaining high revs around town it overheats.
> If I keep the revs low I can drive around all day without a problem.
> The only modification is I replaced the exhaust system with headers from Clarks.
> Checked the fan belt to make sure it isn't too tight.
> Oil is fresh & high zinc 10w30 for classic cars.
> Run on 93 Octane Unleaded.
> Engine fins are clear and clean.
> Filters are fresh.
> What is the normal temperature range when warmed up?
> Any troubleshooting suggestions?
> Thanks!

  Jay- 320 to 350 F is fairly normal for 140 running down the freeway. If you are seeing significantly more than that (420 to 450 for example) then you have a problemthat needs correcting. First thing is to check that the cylinder baffles are installed as they've been known to have been left off. If the lower shrouds are off, justlook up at the engine (from pushrod tube side) and you'd better see some sheet metal baffle things between the pushrod tubes and the cylinders- If those baffles arenot there, that is your problem. If your lower shrouds are installed, just open one of the rear heat outlet doors and again look at the cylinders-again, you should notbe able to see them if those baffles are in place. If the baffles really are installed, the next thing to check is the plug colors- Ideally the plugs should be light brown,darker is okay (but wastes gas) but if the plugs are white, then your carbs are set up too lean and they need to be re-jetted. Also, check the timing (and also verifythat you have the correct 140 distributor!!) as too retarded will make it run too hot also.Kevin Nash