<VV> 63 Monza must go

chuck mckinley cmckinley313 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 6 09:42:51 EDT 2012

Friends,
	Sadly, I'm forced to decide how to dispose of my '63 Monza 900 80-hp
3-speed. It has developed engine problems that I'm pretty sure would
require a complete rebuild, which (1) I don't have the time, money, or
fortitude to do, and (2) the block won't take it. It has too many
marginally patched studs that couldn't survive yet another work-over.
	I've attached some pix just snapped a few minutes ago to put it in
perspective and explain my ideas for possible fates. Car is located in
Newport News, VA.

Plan 1. Keep it intact and sell it as a fixer-upper or parts car to a
serious enthusiast.

In that regard, a few cautionary notes are in order:

a. It's currently drivable, but I wouldn't trust it more than a few
miles. It starts up fine, but after a couple minutes of run time, it
develops a twittering noise that I believe is coming from one or more of
the crank bearings. This started a few weeks ago as an intermittent
thing and is now constant. As the engine warms up, the idle gets rougher
and it eventually stalls at stop signs, etc. If you rev the warm engine,
it sounds pretty rough. Note that you can start it up again immediately
after it stalls, but I don't know how long that will continue.
b. The 3-speed tranny works OK, but as I've noted in a previous post, it
spontaneously jumps out of top gear after an hour or so of highway
driving. This has occurred only twice, but it's probably symptomatic of
possible future problems.
c. The differential is anyone's guess. It obviously functions but seems
unnecessarily noisy to me.
d. The body has a considerable amount of rust in the hidden places, but
especially the floor pan, which is full of small holes and has been
patched in several places with sheet metal pop-riveted over it.

Plan 2. Strip the good parts off for resale to anyone interested, and
scrap the rest. There are some perfectly good bits that I'd hate to see
end up in the scrapyard, including:

a. Otto finned valve covers (Clark's item C8710) - basically as good as
new
b. Otto finned oil pan (Clark's item C8608) - also good as new
c. (Anathema to purists, but I like them) Pair of bucket seats from a
1989 Chrysler LeBaron convertible - obvious from picture
d. Two sets of wheel covers - the moons in the picture as well as the
stock originals for 1963 in decent but not perfect condition.
e. Standard early-model non-vented carbs, rebuilt about 6 weeks ago.
f. Good stock fuel pump.
g. Good stock generator.
h. Standard original wheels and good tires, including new unused spare.
i. Sony FM/AM/CD/USB stereo and pair of Sony 6x9 speakers mounted in a
baffle to fit the opening behind the rear seat.
j. All instruments in the instrument cluster work (I finally fixed the
speedometer, first time it's worked right in 19 years!)
k. 13" Grant GT steering wheel
l. Near-new tail light lens (2x) and backup light lens (1x)
m. Spare instrument cluster (early model)
n. Spare early model gas tank sender unit, without float

I would appreciate your ideas about what else might be of interest as
salvage parts.

I look forward to hearing from any of you.
Cheers,
Chuck McKinley
Worn-out 63 Monza 900 80 hp 3-speed

PS Under Plan 2, I'd be happy to personally deliver any selected parts
to buyers within 100 miles of Newport News, VA.