<VV> Hole Punch

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Apr 10 09:16:58 EDT 2012

These 'chassis punches' work extremely well and I would buy one in a heart beat ... IF ... I had a whole lot of holes to punch.

For 1, 2, or 6 holes, the price would be a factor.  From past experience I know a 2 inch hole saw will have enough 'run-out' to make a 2 1/16 hole ... even if I had to use a half round file [NOT a 'rat tail file] to clean up the edges.  After all, once the chips are cleaned up and the gauge is in place there will be no trace of the method used to cut the hole.

There is a trick to getting a really good hole in sheet metal [or plastic, for that matter] with the hole saw.  Start by locating the exact center of the hole to be and drill a pilot hole with the bit from the hole saw.  Then replace the hole saw's center drill bit with a piece of round stock the same diameter as the original drill bit.  Using this smooth pilot the hole saw will cut a pretty nice hole ... and your bill fold will thank you.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.