<VV> Slightly OT Dog-Rings

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Apr 10 16:12:19 EDT 2012

And  don't forget double clutching! For those who have  unsynchroed
transmissions. Either by design or parts worn out! Anybody have  a dogbox in
a Corvair?  Frank DuVal

My Corvair powered Lola Autocross car had a Dog-Ring Clutch Hewland in it.
I was told at the time that you could shift up by just releasing power and
pulling it into gear and blipping the throttle to go down a gear. With many
 (almost all) of my years using synchromesh transmissions, I had a devil of
a  time trying to do this. It always seemed like trans abuse! The normal
Hewland  was installed in formula cars with tiny multi-plate clutches, where
you were not  allowed to slip them - Okay, you could do it once, then they
were shot! My  Crown-converted Corvair to VW/Hewland set-up had a Kennedy
Engineered Products  HD VW-style pressure plate and a dune buggy disk. You could
slip that one all  day long! It made the car much easier to drive. I
actually built the car with  two sets of high-low gears. The left side was
low-high2nd - and the right side  was not-so-low - fourth. On slow courses I stayed
on the left side - It would  still go 70+. On the right side, a slight
tougher start, but not-so-low was good  from 25-50 in slower corners, and fourth
was good for speeds I didn't want  to drive at! I never had to cross over
the H in the shift pattern on course.  With the Hewland, you could put any
gear in any shift position.  Handy!

Seth Emerson