<VV> Gens and Alts

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Apr 10 19:09:23 EDT 2012

Lon,

I don't know where you hear these old wives' tales, but there is so much
wrong with your explanation from an EE standpoint....

The regulator controls the output of both an alternator and a generator
as found on our cars.

If the regulator is disconnected from the generator or alternator, they
both stop producing electricity, so where is this mystery "burns itself
up" you speak of?

Now, the generator will try to self excite, due to residual magnetism,
but without a complete circuit from the field terminal, it will not
excite to full output.

The big difference in circuitry (on GM cars of our period) between the
generator and alternator systems, is the field of the generator is
internally connected to the armature terminal, so one (person or
regulator) grounds the field terminal to get output. If the field wire
shorts to ground, the generator will full output, and that can burn
stuff up. The field of the alternator needs to get +12 to make power
output, so if the field wire to the alternator shorts to ground, the
wire burns up, but the alternator does not.

If the brushes wear out in a generator, the red light comes on, telling
you there is a problem, but nothing "burns itself up". Just the battery
stops charging and slowly goes dead (depending on # of accessories on).
You can drive forever, just stopping to charge the battery. Known
several people who did that until they could get to or afford a repair
shop. If one is worried about burning their armature up, just disconnect
the field wire (F on the generator) and motor on.

Both a generator and regulator limit the charge to the maximum output of
the object during normal operation. However, if either a generator or
alternator regulator go bad, it will drive the protected object to
failure! There is no extra safety in an alternator regulator vs a
generator regulator! What part of an alternator circuit" just cycles
(stops charging)" ? Some magic brain ECU?

About the only difference I can see here is an alternator is typically
not as stressed as a generator, since the early generators were rated at
30 amps, and the lowest alternator rating back then was 37 amps. So for
the same electrical loads, the alternator would be "less loaded" by the
loads.

Now, I can agree that alternators are less trouble prone, as in these
three reasons:

There are only two coils (relay type regulators) in a typical GM
alternator regulator vs three coils (relay type regulators) in a
generator regulator, so that's 1/3 less contact points, etc, to go bad,
so the alternator regulator could be less prone to failure in actual
use. I think repair data from back then would agree with this.

Another MTBF (mean time between failure) difference between alternators
and generators is the brushes. Again, not something that "burns itself
up" or causes other damage to the system, just stops charging the
battery. The reason for more brush failure is the generator charging
current (0 to 30 amps) flows through the two brushes. This heats them
up, there is always some arcing, etc so they wear at an accelerated rate
compared to alternators. Before we had alternators to compare to, this
wear was considered normal.  An alternator just has brushes in the field
circuit, a much less current flowing circuit (0 to maybe 5 amps). These
brushes are much smaller, but still last a long time.

And of course the big one  for us early drivers, the weight. Not of the
whole unit, like others who want to lose some rear pounds, but armature,
or turning weight. Like the heavy steel fan, the combined weight of the
armature and steel fan did cause people to throw belts when shifting
spiritedly. But this is fan belt MTBF, not generator.

An old time rebuilder told me years ago, to make a generator last in any
car, remember to drop a drop of oil in each oil cup when checking your
oil. You already have the dipstick in your hand, just open the flip lids
on the generator endbells.

Frank DuVal

ps you said rebuilt by the side of the road, you mean just two brushes,
or changing bearings and bushings? Had a growler to check the armature?