<VV> Fan belt tension

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Apr 11 15:08:11 EDT 2012

Hi Chuck,

The consensus I've gotten from the more experienced Corvair owners is you should be able to turn the alternator or generator fan with one finger.  Another way to get the same tension is to just grab the idler between thumb and fingers and pull straight back for tension.  You'll lose your grip instead of over tightening the belt.  You'd be amazed how loose the belt can be and stay on.  This is how I set ours, it works quite well and I replace belts when they wear out or dry rot.

--Bryan