<VV> Fan Belt Tension (Reverse Coefficient of Thermal Expansion?)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sat Apr 14 18:10:53 EDT 2012

Hi Jim,

That is a very interesting link but it was not written well  and can be a
bit misleading.  The sentence from the link, "Unlike other  solids, stretched
elastic polymers shrink upon heating." gives a clue as to what  is really
means.  The word "stretched" is the focus of the  discussion.  It should be
"pre stretched."

It has been many years since I taught Engineering Materials  (among other
subjects) as a TA in my University days so please forgive any minor  errors.

Polymers are made up of many (poly) molecules which are linked  together in
a somewhat random fashion.  The atoms within the molecules  themselves are
linked at angles as well.  When you stretch a polymer like  rubber, those
linked molecules stretch and become straighter but resist the  deformation and
want to return to their natural state.  (Think of a  multitude of randomly
formed springs held in a matrix that can be stretched  but want to return to
their initial shape.)  The more you pull, the  straighter they become.  As
they grow in length, they also draw closer  together which is why a rubber
band gets thinner as you stretch it.  In the  manufacturing process they can
stretch the polymer before it sets (cures)  permanently.  This process
leaves the molecules somewhat aligned in one  direction after the curing is done.
 They are pre stressed.  When the  polymer is heated, the molecules are
more free to return to their original  unstressed state which is more random.
This allows them to contract.   However, since they are cured in a certain
configuration, they return to the  stretched/stressed state when they cool.

Overall, the pre stressed polymer will still expand as  temperature rises
but only one dimension will shrink.  The other two  dimensions will expand
due to the coefficient of thermal expansion plus the  volume by which the
first dimension shrinks.  The total volume changes very  little if at all.

Yes, you qualified your posting with the word "stretched" in  your text but
this does not apply to the stretching that occurs when you mount  the belt
on the pulleys and then adjust it.  It applies to the pre  stretching that
may or may not occur in manufacturing.  I am sure the  designers of fan belts
are well aware of this phenomenon but I do not know if  they use it in
their designs.  Since the thermal expansion of the belt is  negligible, they may
not need to apply the Gough‐Joule effect briefly described  in your link.

Doc

In a message dated 4/13/2012 6:04:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  2