<VV> Clutchless Shifting

Byron Comp byron.comp at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 20:47:51 EDT 2012

Back in 1969 I purchased one of those IH Scouts that were a metallic blue and gray/silver tutone combo and had a 6 cyl. & 3 speed tranny. I moved that year from MD to Newburgh, NY and "enjoyed" one of the coldest, snowyest winters I can ever remember. What made it especially memorable was that the metal fork in which the swedged end of the clutch cable up under the dash resided never got smoothed out in production and within about 3k miles it wore through the cable right behind the swedged-on ball. It was such a pervasive problem for IH and their supplier(s) that they were on a 1 month backlog of orders for replacements. So I spent most of the month of Jan., 1970 driving in the snow and ice w/o a clutch. I actually got pretty adept at it. I knew nothing then about damaging synchros and over the next 75k miles, even using that Scout to plow snow in PA, I never had a minutes problem with the tranny.

Byron (Still waiting for the engine shop to finish "repairing" my engine) Comp
'64 Monza Vert - now sitting engineless in FL while I've moved back to PA
Williamsport, PA