<VV> Gas mileage question

hihal6 at gmail.com hihal6 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 22:31:40 EDT 2012

Randy,

In the 60's I owned a '61 84/pg/3:27 and later a '63 102/pg/3:55. Both were
bought new and I put about 50K on each one. The 84 got better gas mileage
and, surprisingly, was a better performer in around town type driving. The
102 got its higher HP rating from a hotter cam and the extra power didn't
kick in until higher rev range. On a trip to Florida and back (about 3600
mi), we got 27 mpg on the highway. For gas mileage, I would choose the
84/pg/3:27 combo. (There are a few 3:08 gearsets available used---I don't
know how that would work out) You can also change the effective ratio some
by using larger diameter rear tires.

Wade Halsey