<VV> How to dispose of old R-12

Robert K. Henry robertkhenry at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 19 18:13:52 EDT 2012

The recent threads on refrigerant has brought up an old question: how to
deal with old cans of R-12. In my mother's garage there were several 14 oz
cans of R-12. No one in my family has a car that uses R-12 anymore. (My
Corvair doesn't have A/C).

So what's the best way to deal with this stuff? We considered selling on
eBay but couldn't confirm how to deal with the EPA certification issues. As
a casual seller, do I have to deal with EPA's paper trail? It looked like
eBay seemed to require the certification for buyers. Don't know what's
required of a seller. I haven't been able to tell if the EPA is going to
kick down my door and demand documentation. (And then cite me for wasting
energy by not having a door.)

Is there a proper procedure?

And what's a fair price? I've been told that R-12 is virtually worthless now
that there are substitutes.

Robert Henry