<VV> Interesting GM Move!

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 01:03:11 EDT 2012

                                                                        B"H

In case anyone's interested, the first "SS" Chevy was the 1961 Impala.  It featured a bench seat but with SS appointments like a passenger side grab bar, turned metal floor shift bezel, and "Impala SS" designations on the rear fenders and decklid.  Also part of the package were tri-spinners mounted over the regular full wheel covers. It was strictly an option package and could theoretically be ordered on any Impala with any engine, including the ohv six, and with any body style, including sedans and wagons.  At  least a few 1961 Impala SS wagons are known to exist, but as you can imagine, most cars with the option were either hardtop coupes or convertibles.  The SS and 409 could be ordered as separate option, I think the figure was 148 such cars built, making them quite valuable today.

Bucket seats came with the '62, and the '64 Impala SS became a separate model (VIN starting with 168 instead of 164).  The last Sixties car was the Z-24 1969 model, which was also known as the "SS427."

Nova SS cars were built from 1963 to 1976 at least, but the later ones were two door sedans, not hardtops. Chevelle and Malibu SS's were built from 1964 through 1973.  Of course there were the Camaros and even the 1971-72 Monte Carlo had an SS454 option which featured the LS-5 engine and very small "SS454" emblems on the front rocker panel area.

Just useless trivia off the top of my head, what a memory..now, if I can only remember where I left that package of 3/8" bolts I need for my next Corvair upgrade, I'll be in business....Bill Hershkowitz 66 Monza "SS"=Sport Sedan (just kidding :P) 110 PG A/C