<VV> Octane Number

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Apr 25 13:44:40 EDT 2012

The numbers don't tell the truth compared to 20 years ago either.  I used to be able to run 50/50 93 unleaded/89 leaded pump gas in my motorcycle back then with no detonation.  Now I have to run 100LL.  It pings and clatters like crazy with today's "93".  It seems to have gotten worse when they took the lead out and even worse with the ethanol in.  I did richen the jetting to make up for the ethanol.  I can't remember when they started putting ethanol in gasoline but I remember having issues starting around 15 years ago.
Joel McGregor