<VV> My convention report

Guy Brandes vair140 at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 08:19:05 EDT 2012

My convention report starts earlier than most, my wife and I left at 4am on Friday the 13th and headed East but rather than go directly to Mass. we took a little detour to my sister and brother and laws place in Spruce Head Me. We spent 10 days there with our extended family and put about 500 miles traveling about the Maine coast. I will mention here that all miles mentioned are in Corvair miles so they may not be exactly spot on.  Upon completion of our Maine stay we headed out for the convention which was just a short 450 miles away arriving with an over cast sky which proved to be no big deal.  We were pleasantly surprised by the host hotel both in surroundings and the interior amenities.  We were treated very well with every one friendly and help full.  The schedule changes were some times hard to keep up with but nothing you could not live with.  I have a vague idea what kind of work it takes to prepare for a convention and our hats off to those who put it on!  I would be curious to know how much money the host chapters spent on pop corn in the Hospitality suite as every time we went in there some one was making popcorn.  Some of the over lapping events made it hard to go to everything but we sure had fun with what we did attend.  I even managed to get an engineering award for my first Valve Cover race, maybe I can be a little faster next year.  We both enjoyed Old Sturbridge Village and it was easy to get to.  We left Sunday about 4:30 am and drove straight thru 900 plus mileage home arriving a little before 8pm.  We drove over 3000 miles with out any problems and used 2 and 1/2 quarts of oil the half is all over my engine compartment as I didn't quite tighten the cap on the last top up, at least it wasn't leaking as I thought.  We wouldn't get the high mileage award but the 48 year old Corvair deserves an award for relaibility and it was comfortable too.
My one other thought is that you people just don't appreciate the late model 4 doors as they never seem to get picked as the best late closed, your loss

Regards,

Guy Brandes
65 VAIR 140 (yup it's a 4 door)