<VV> Brakes - Question

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 10:24:27 EDT 2012

Bill,

I'd agree with all the other seasoned members inputs and offer one more suggestion.  As you drive your car almost daily the brakes have been exercised regularly.  Why not try actuating the self adjusters yourself to be sure the adjusters have done their job?  Find a parking lot where you can go back and forth safely first.  Then back up to 5-10 mph and apply the brakes firmly, but without causing them to slide.  The car will feel like its rising up a bit as it comes to a stop.  They drive forward briskly to about 10 mph and stop firmly again without sliding the wheels.  Repeat this five or six times and the brake self adjusters will have tightened things up--you should have a bit less play in the pedal.

This has worked for me on occasion, but if the problem persists then its back to a thorough inspection.  I'm guessing the left front isn't fully engaging or that you have a problem in the rear that is causing the pull to the right.

Best of Luck,

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
MD suburbs of DC