<VV> Brakes - Question

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 4 22:32:19 EDT 2012

                                                                   B"H
On the subject of discs, I must admit that the Corvair drums are SO much better than a lot of the contemporary drum systems of the 60s and even 70s.
I had a very nice low mileage 1972 Dart Swinger with all drum brakes that were so bad, you needed to get off the seat and put all your weight on the pedal to lock the brakes and get that car to do something like slow down.
Back in the early 1970s I had a 1966 Rambler American that also had lousy brakes.
I of course converted the Swinger's front drums to Wilwood 11" discs (bolt on kit that cost around $500.) which made the difference.  However, my opinion is that the Late Corvair brakes are every bit as good as those Wilwoods were.   I've trained my foot to quickly pump/jab the brakes in panic stops (my own "ABS") and that WORKS.   If only the car wouldn't swing sharply to the right when I press the stop pedal, I would have no complaints.
Thanks guys for all your advice.  I do appreciate it!!....Bill Hershkowitz