<VV> 'Corvair'- really?

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Mon Aug 6 12:27:04 EDT 2012

Sure, this is a Corvair! As Matt says, it's a homebuilt concept vehicle,
based on an EM Corvair and the evidence suggests that it might have
originally been a 2-door coupe, since the doors are longer than a wagon
would have had.

The builder has added an entire windshield and roof section well ahead of
the original location, which allows a new driver's seat to be added on the
centerline, well ahead of the original front seat. This would then allow the
driver's legs to be where the original gas tank was. They repeated the same
process at the rear, using the rear window with the extended roof peak from
a 4-door. You can see the gas filler at the right rear and it probably
filled a small tank somewhere in that area, hopefully, not too close to the
engine!

Entire front fender sections from a '63 Pontiac have been added to the nose.
It bears the name F U T U R A across the rear panel, which was strange,
since the '62 Falcon Futura model was already in existence.

It's one of several concepts that came into existence during the '60s and
early '70s, like the Brubaker Box, which foretold the desire for the
alternate form of family car we have all come to accept, the mini-van. As a
designer/builder myself, I kinda like it, for it's overall vision and a peek
into the motoring future that awaited us all, back in the '60s.

If I had the extra cash, I'd buy it, refine a few details and drag it around
to Corvair events, as an interesting piece of home-built design projection,
from that period. As a driver sitting in that centered seat, you might find
yourself in a difficult position though, whenever you pull up to a take-out
window at a fast food place or drive-through banking lane!

Mel Francis,
Monza SS replica