<VV> 14" to 15"wheels

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Aug 7 12:18:21 EDT 2012

Hi Bruce:

Most GM wheels, including Corvair, have a back space of between 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 inches regardless of the wheel width.  That provides enough offset to create about the 1 1/2 inches of scrub radius most vehicles need to track well.  More scrub radius increases the steering effort and less will cause the car to wander.  The bottom line is all of those wheels, except the really wide, will work well on a Corvair / Rampside / Greenbriar and because your vehicle has drum brakes there will be no interference with the brakes.

Tire size can be a problem.  Tires the same height [outside diameter / circumference] but wider may cause clearance problems with the wheelhouse in turns ... so best to check the clearance before you buy.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.